15 Useful Mac Apps For Web Designers and Developers
Apple computers are well know for their simplicity and performance. These are the two main reasons that every web designers and developers to use Macs as their work computer.
Finding Useful Mac Apps For Freelance Web Designers was one challenging task and here’s what we managed to collect – 15+ Useful Mac Apps For Web Designers.
Anxiety – To-do list application for Mac OS X
Anxiety is a super-lightweight To-do list application for Mac OS X Leopard that synchronizes with iCal and Mail. Its aim is to provide a streamlined, easily accessible interface to add and check off your tasks, while remaining poised to melt into the background at a moments notice.
- Anxiety is free To-do list application for Mac OS X Leopard.
- easily Customizable .
- Omnipresent style meubar
- Anxiety is perfectly integrated with Apple’s other applications that posses to-do functionality
- tiny desktop footprint and clean minimalist aesthetics, the application is simultaneously small, beautiful and effective.
- Anxiety is easily Synchronized with iCal and Mail.
Seashore – open source image editor for Mac
Seashore is an open source image editor for Mac OS X‘s based on Cocoa framework. Seashore is a free and useful open-source Mac Application alternatives for Photoshop only for Mac user. It features gradients, textures and anti-aliasing for both text and brush strokes. It supports multiple layers and alpha channel editing. It is based around the GIMP’s technology and uses the same native file format.
- Full support for the GIMP’s native XCF file format
- Read and write support for the TIFF, PNG, JPEG, JP2000 and GIF file formats
- Read-only support for the BMP, PICT, PDF and XBM file formats
- Layers with over 20 merging effects
- Ability to edit just the primary or alpha channels
- Arbitrary selection regions
- Anti-aliased brush strokes
- 6 basic gradient effects with 16 variations
- Tablet support
- ColorSync support (including embedded profiles in TIFFs and CMYK previewing)
- Plug-in filters
- Elegant syntax highlighting,
- superior navigation,
- code folding,
- smart CodeSense,
- contextual text snippets,
- spell check,
- rich extensibility and
- raw speed: presenting a state-of-the-art text engine for code artists.
Silverback for Mac – usability testing software for designers and developers
Silverback is a Spontaneous, unobtrusive usability testing software for designers and developers.
- Capture screen activity
- Video the participant’s reactions
- Record the participant’s voice
- Add chapter markers on the fly
- Control recording with the remote
- Export to QuickTime
Silverback makes it easy, quick and cheap for everyone to perform guerilla usability tests with no setup and no expense, using hardware already in your Mac.
Paparazzi – Take user-defined size screenshots of websites
Paparazzi! is a small utility for Mac OS X that makes screenshots of WebPages. Paparazzi! is a Mac OS X application written in Objective-C using the Cocoa API and the WebKit framework.
- Better frameset handling. Capturing, for example, Apple developer documentation will capture the entire height.
- Temporary access to the WebView for username/password info, so capture of pages behind a required login is now possible.
- iTunes 6-style window (including rad corners). This was a pain, but fun!
- Automator actions. Okay, these aren’t done yet, but I’m working on them this week.
Google SketchUp is an 3D software tool that combines a tool-set with an intelligent drawing system. Enables to place models using real-world coordinates and share them with the Google SketchUp .
- Fast and reliable
- Crossing lines break automatically : SketchUp easy to use with edges that automatically break other edges where they cross, objects that are smart enough to know how they should behave when you interact with them.
- Scale without stretching : When you use the Scale tool on a dynamic staircase, it automatically adds or removes steps as you make it bigger or smaller. No more stretching, no more distortion.
- Configure objects with Component Options
- Introducing the Interact tool : Some Dynamic Components of Google SketchUp can perform animations, rotate, move, resize, change color or move to a scene in your model when you click on them with Interact.
- Search the 3D Warehouse : SketchUp come with Google 3D Warehouse Search to the Component Browser, which gives you access to jillions of models.
- Download models locally : what you find on the Google 3D Warehouse you can download to your local drive and making it easy to work even if you happen to be offline.
- Take (and give) credit :you can Tag your models with your nickname so that people will know who built them no matter where they end up. And since Credits automatically keeps track of the stuff you use to build your own models, it’s easier than ever to give credit to your collaborators.
Coda – One-Window Web Development for Mac OS X
Nvu – standalone WYSIWYG HTML editor for Mac
Nvu is a standalone ‘WYSIWYG’ HTML editor based on Gecko, Mozilla’s rendering engine. Nvu is free, open source and are community supported.Web Authoring System for Linux Desktop, Microsoft Windows and Macintosh users to rival programs like FrontPage and Dreamweaver.
Inkscape – Open Source vector graphics editor for Mac
An Open Source vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Illustrator, CorelDraw, or Xara X, using the W3C standard Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) file format. Inkscape supports many advanced SVG features (markers, clones, alpha blending, etc.) and great care is taken in designing a streamlined interface. It is very easy to edit nodes, perform complex path operations, trace bitmaps and much more.
Inkscape also supports Creative Commons meta-data, node editing, layers, complex path operations, bitmap tracing, text-on-path, flowed text, direct XML editing, and more. It imports formats such as JPEG, PNG, TIFF, and others and exports PNG as well as multiple vector-based formats. Inkscape’s main goal is to create a powerful and convenient drawing tool fully compliant with XML, SVG, and CSS standards.
Scribus is free open-source program that give professional page layout to Linux/Unix, MacOS X, OS/2 and Windows desktops with a combination of “One Touch ready” output and give new approaches to page layout. Scribus have modern and user friendly interface that make him easy to operate .
Aquamacs Emacs – Powerful Emacs text editor
Aquamacs is an Aqua-native build of the powerful Emacs text editor. Aquamacs Emacs is best suitable for people who work with Text, HTML, LaTeX, C++, Java, Python, Perl, Ruby, PHP. Aquamacs integrates perfectly with OS X thanks to its specially adapted user interface.
Xee 2.0 – image viewer and browser for mac
Xee is a lightweight, fast and convenient image viewer and browser. It is mainly focus on image viewing and management, with a sleek and powerful interface. It is very fast, and uses less memory than most other image viewing tools. Its interface is highly streamlined and has easily configurable keyboard shortcuts.
Smultron – free text editor for Mac OS X Leopard
Smultron is a free text editor for Mac OS X Leopard 10.5 which is both easy to use and powerful. it very useful for people who work with web programming, script editing. Smultron Added syntax definitions for Cobol, Csound, Erlang, GEDCOM, JavaFX, MEL, NEURON and SuperCollider.
TextExpander – Mac Typing Shortcut Utility
TextExpander saves you countless keystrokes with customized abbreviations for your frequently-used text strings and images.
- Programmers: make editor-independent code templates and invoke AppleScripts
- Position the cursor wherever you want in your expanded snippet
- Organize snippets into groups
- Save thousands of keystrokes by using short abbreviations to insert “snippets” containing frequently-used phrases and images
- Insert standard greetings and signatures — including formatted text and pictures
- Add snippet groups from external files and online sources
- Sync snippets via .Mac
- Insert the current date and time in any format you prefer
- Add common typos to your snippet library—Text Expander will automatically correct them for you!
- Type special characters without having to launch a special characters palette
- Import snippets from other typing utilities, including Textpander, TypeIt4Me (v2 & 3) and Typinator (v1)
- Trigger snippet expansions automatically by typing the abbreviations you specify, or use any one of over 30 delimiter characters as a trigger
Skitch – screen capture tools for mac
Skitch screen capture tools is not just tools its more then screen capture tools for mac . it allow you to capture any application,chat moment and easily sketch on your screenshot. after sketching you can upload it to share with your friend and viewers . easy to Re-open images from your Skitch History to reuse the screenshots. Skitch is only available for Mac user.