8 Open Source software for Web Development
There are a number of great resources and Tools available on Web that have been created with the intent of making web developer’s life more easier and your work quicker and more effective.
Today we listed Top 8 Open Source software for Web Development to Simplify Your Life as a Web developer . We obviously cannot cover all the best from the web, but we have tried to cover as much as possible.
Amaya – Web editor cum browser
Amaya is a Web editor cum browser developed by World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), which allow you to create and update documents directly on the Web. with Amaya you can easily edit a wide-range of file formats, including HTML, CSS, XHTML, SVG and MathML and Browsing features are seamlessly integrated with the editing and remote access features in a uniform environment.
- Support of z-index, opacity, SVG fill-rule, stop-opacity and stop-color properties
- When the remote Save of a web page fails, Amaya proposes to keep a local copy of the edited page
- Local resources attached to a remote document are now saved with the document
- A new button at the bottom allows one to lock/unlock WebDAV resources
Aptana web development tools
Aptana Studio is a complete web application development, deployment and management tool that combines powerful authoring tools with a collection of online hosting and collaboration services. its an Open-source, cross-platform web development tool for building Ajax Applications.
- FTP/SFTP uploading, downloading and synchronization
- Error and warning notification for your code
- Support for Aptana UI customization and extensions
- Free, Open-source, cross-platform development environment for building Ajax Applications
Bluefish – web editor for designer
Bluefish is a powerful web editor targeted towards programmers and experienced web developers/designers, with many options to write websites, scripts and programming code. it supports many programming and markup languages, and it focuses on editing dynamic and interactive websites.
- multiple file editor
- image and thumbnail dialogs
- PHP, HTML, Java, C, and XML supported
- Bluefish loads tens of files within seconds.
- A What You See Is What You Get(WYSIWYG) interface
- Multiple document interface, easily opens 500 documents (tested 3500 documents simultaneously)
- Support for remote files using gnome-vfs (depending on your gnome-vfs setup, you’ll have FTP, SFTP, HTTP, HTTPS, WebDAV, Samba and more)
- Powerful search and replace, allowing POSIX and Perl Compatible regular expressions and sub-pattern replacing
- Open files recursively based on filename patterns and/or content
- Unlimited undo/redo functionality
- Customizable syntax highlighting based on Perl Compatible regular expressions
- external program integration (tidy, weblint, make, javac)
Komodo Edit – Multiplatform code editor
- Multi-language file support
- Standard editing features
- Syntax checking and coloring
- Modal Vi keybindings emulate navigation, text insertion and command behavior.
- Emacs-like keybinding scheme supported
- HTML, XML and CSS files preview side-by-side or in a browser, using arbitrary files or URLs.
- Multilingual Input Method Editor (IME) support
- Code folding and snippets
- Multi-document editing
- Store virtually anything and Share a Toolbox with networked team members or distribute valuable Toolbox items to other Komodo users with the import/export function.
Mozilla SeaMonkey – Internet application suite
Mozilla SeaMonkey is an all-in-one internet application suite, containing a web browser, advanced e-mail and newsgroup client, an HTML editor, web development tools, and an IRC chat client specially designed for advanced users, web developers and corporate users.
- Tabbed browsing
- Popup blocker
- Image Manager
- Find as you type gives you another way to navigate a page.
- Advanced security settings
- multi-language and multi-platform support
- Junk mail controls to prevent your e-mail from spammers
- powerful yet simple HTML editor Composer
- Dynamic image and table resizing, quick insert and delete of table cells, improved CSS support, and support for positioned layers
- Chat on IRC networks with this simple yet powerful IRC client
Nvu – standalone ‘WYSIWYG’ HTML editor
Nvu is a standalone ‘WYSIWYG’ HTML editor based on Gecko, Mozilla’s rendering engine. Nvu is free, open source and are community supported.Web Authoring System for Linux Desktop, Microsoft Windows and Macintosh users to rival programs like FrontPage and Dreamweaver. Nvu makes creating web pages as easy as using a word processor and rivals such programs as Adobe’s Dreamweaver and Microsoft’s Expression Web, only for free! With Nvu’s built-in site manager, connecting to your website and making changes is a snap.
OpenLaszlo – open-source Ajax platform
OpenLaszlo is an open-source Ajax platform for creating powerful, cinematic Web applications that run in today’s popular browsers. it allow developers to build and deploy Web applications that combine the usability of desktop software with the effectiveness of Web-based deployment.
KompoZer – complete web authoring system
KompoZer is a complete web authoring system that combines web file management and easy-to-use WYSIWYG web page editing capabilities found in Microsoft FrontPage, Adobe Dreamweaver and other high end programs. KompoZer is designed to be extremely easy to use, making it ideal for non-technical computer users who want to create an attractive professional-looking web site without needing to know HTML or web coding.
- FTP site manager
- A new color picker
- CSS editor
- Customizable toolbars
- XUL-based UI to edit all your forms, and edit all your form elements
- Cleaner markup
- XFN friendly
- Table/Cell resizing rulers
- Integrated in-line spellchecker