6 Useful Ajax and PHP based WebMail Client
Webmail client is also known as web-based Email clients that allow User to access their email from any Internet-connected computer around the world.
It allows the user to receive and send email messages using POP3 and SMTP protocols through both local and remote mail servers.
By providing an application-like user interface and Sophisticated privacy protection, users can easily view HTML-formatted email messages.
Email clients can work under different popular web platforms (PHP, ASP.NET, ruby on rails, java).
In this article, you will read about the six useful Ajax and PHP based Webmail Clients.
6 Useful Ajax and PHP based WebMail Client
1 RoundCube – PHP based Webmail client
RoundCube Webmail client is an Open Source, browser-based multilingual IMAP client with an application-like user interface that is easy to install/configure and runs on a standard LAMPP server. It provides full functionality you expect from an e-mail client, including MIME support, address book, folder manipulation, message searching, and spell checking. RoundCube Webmail client is written in PHP and uses MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, or MS SQL database to store data.
Features of Roundcube webmail
- Multi-language Supported
- Drag-&-drop message management
- Full support for MIME and HTML messages
- Sophisticated privacy protection
- Compose messages with attachments
- Multiple sender identities
- Richtext/HTML message composing
- Forwarding messages with attachments
- IMAP folder management
- Support for the external SMTP server
2 SquirrelMail – PHP Webmail Client
3 Horde – IMP email client
Horde is an Open Source browser-based communication suite based on PHP and Horde Framework. Users can read, send, and organize email messages and manage and share calendars, contacts, tasks, and notes with the Horde Project’s standards-compliant components.
Features of Horde Webmail client
- IMAP and POP3 supported webmail client
- Message filtering and searching
- HTML message composition with WYSIWIG editor
- Built-in attachment viewers
- Encrypting and signing of messages (S/MIME and PGP)
- Full character set support for folder names and email messages.
- Folder tree
- Conversation view of all messages in a thread
- Give Message previews in mailbox view.
- Fetching of messages from external email accounts
- Flexible, individual alias addresses
- IMAP folder subscriptions
- Support for mailing list headers
- Forwarding of multiple messages at once
4 Zimbra Webmail – Ajax and PHP based WebMail Client
Zimbra is yet another Web-Based Email and calendar groupware Client which allows testing, rating, deploying, and customize the performance of conversations.
It is easily synced to smartphones and desktop clients like Outlook and Thunderbird. Also, it features archiving and discovery for compliance. Zimbra can be deployed on-premises or as a hosted email solution.
5 Hastymail2 – PHP based Webmail Client
Hastymail2 is a full-featured lightweight IMAP/SMTP client written in PHP. Fully Compatible with PDAs, phones, text browsers, and all mainstream browsers. Hastymail2 is backed by a Flexible and powerful plugin system that allows PHP developer to create their plugins to enhance the performance of Hastymail2. It gives you the ability to use a database for storing user settings, contacts, and plugin data, with support for both Postgresql and Mysql.
Features of Hastymail2
- W3C valid UTF-8 XHTML pages that can be configured to delivered as type application/xhtml-xml for supported browsers.
- Multilevel theme system using CSS, PHP templates, and icon sets
- Flexible and powerful plugin system with documentation, examples, and many plugins like a calendar, auto-complete, sound notifications, HTML mail composition, and more
- The ability to use a database for storing user settings, contacts, and plugin data, with support for both Postgresql and Mysql
- Tunable smart cache to balance IMAP activity and PHP session size to maximize performance for different configurations
- AJAX updating using a lightweight and simple system
- Multi-language supported
- Advanced IMAP search capabilities
- IMAP SSL and STARTTLS* support
- Vcard based contact management, including import/export ability
6 Mailr – Ruby On Rails Based Webmail Client
Mailr is an open-source webmail application written in Ruby which uses the Ruby On Rails web application framework. The application tested with Courier-IMAP, but it should be possible to use it with any other IMAP server.
Features of Mailr
- Uses IMAP protocol
- Caches IMAP server connections
- HTML and plaintext message composition
- Address book (contacts) with possible import from CSV file
- Ajax based autocomplete of email addresses
- Mail filters based on Maildrop
- i18n based on Sascha Ebach’s manual