A learning management system (LMS) is a Web Application for delivering, tracking, and managing training/education. LMSs range from strategies for managing training/educational records to software to distribute courses over the Internet and offer online collaboration features. Read More About Learning management system From Wikipedia.
This article will read about the 6 Open Source Learning Management Systems.
Moodle – Learning Management System
Moodle is an open-source Learning Management System(LMS), also known as a Course Management System (CMS). Moodle was originally an acronym for Modular Object-Oriented Dynamic Learning Environment, mainly helpful to programmers and education theorists.
Moodle is a Free web application that educators can use to create Internet-based courses and websites for their students. It comes with, Flexible array of course activities – Such as Forums, Quizzes, Glossaries, Resources, Choices, Surveys, Assignments, Chats, and Workshops. You can install Moodle on any computer that can run PHP and use MYSQL for the database.
eConf – open-source e-learning software
eConf is an open-source e-learning software written in Java. It allows to record web sessions easily and has been used to record multiple computer science courses. eConf is an add-on to an HTTP proxy that can capture the web pages shown during the session and the presenter’s voice. The audio and the web pages are then synchronized to allow the students to listen to the recorded course.
Dokeos – online learning management system
Dokeos is an open-source online learning management system. It provided all the features needed for e-learning and blended learning management: From Authoring to Reporting. In addition, Dokeos is a multilingual supported system that offers over 34 languages and helps more than 1.000 organizations worldwide manage learning and collaboration activities.
With Dokeos, users can manage courses, students, documents, forums, and exercises, and import SCORM content and PowerPoint presentations directly into your learning paths, making it an excellent solution for interoperability.
- Online and collaborative authoring
- Live collaboration through videoconferencing
- Build your templates and accelerate your production and online collaboration with the trainer’s team
- Learning path building: Create a SCORM e-course in a few hours
- Build your images-based training scenario easily
- Interact with Blogs, Wikis, and Forums.
- Handle your users, training, and groups
- One portal, many sites. The idea solution for a multinational group or a decentralized administration.
- Articulate online activities and classroom exams
- Increase productivity through Ms-Office compliance
- Multi-criteria search engine
- Get accurate tracking of learner’s score, progress, time, and collaborative interaction for Accurate reporting.
ATutor – Web-based Learning Management System (LMS)
ATutor is an Open Source Web-based Learning Management System (LMS) designed with accessibility and adaptability. Administrators or web admins can easily install or update ATutor in minutes and develop custom templates to give ATutor a new look.
Open e-LMS – SCORM Learning Management System
Open e-LMS is the first open-source SCORM Learning Management System designed for business by business. Open e-LMS is simple to understand and easy to operate, Thanks to its simple and intuitive web interface. In addition, open Elms also provides a Content Management System which enables the creation of professional e-learning content from scratch.
- Open Source SCORM e-learning
- Business Focused Learning Management System (LMS)
- Easy to Install
- Support for Articulate, Captivate
- Rapid e-learning development tools
- Update e-learning after delivery
eFront – E-learning and Human Capital Development system
eFront is an easy-to-use, visually attractive, SCORM-compatible E-learning and Human Capital Development system. It is suitable for both company and educational usage. It includes a wide variety of components that help you create your lesson structure, adds content, builds online tests, communicates with others, tracks users’ history and progress, conduct surveys, assign projects, and create certifications. – eFront
- Progress tracking
- Organize lessons at multiple conceptual levels called categories
- support for forum, chat, calendar, personal messages, file sharing, and user comments on topics.
- eFront includes a flexible visual content editor and internal support for pictures, sound, video, flash, or Java
- Upload, organize, use and share files with any other system user
- Tests by assembling questions from a question pool. Several types of questions can be created, used, and re-used
- Customization & usability
- SCORM compatible and certified platform
- Simple Yet powerful Search Engine for anything, anyone, and anywhere inside the system
- Assign projects with deadlines to end-users and track their progress
- Create, share and analyze responses from people inside or outside your organization