20 useful Web 2.0 Framework Applications & Sites
“Web 2.0…is about making the Internet useful for computers”
– Jeff Bezos
An open source web application framework that is frequently used in Web 2.0 website development. Today we listed 20 useful Web 2.0 Framework Applications etc. We obviously cannot cover all the best from the web, but we have tried to cover as much as possible.
MODx is an Open Source PHP application framework with a capable built-in Content Management System (CMS). modx is a free, fast and flexible web application framework to build sites exactly how you want with Zero restrictions.
Super-simple templates in regular HTML/CSS/JS (any lib you want). MODx is first free PHP CMS to offer an API that fully supports to Web 2.0 Ajax technology.
- browser friendly Content Management System
- Strong Web Standards Support
- Web 2.0 Features (yes, that means Ajax)
- PHP Application Framework
- Graphical Installer
- Improved Rich Text Editors
- Better handling of aliases and menu indexes
- Robust CSS Menu Builder
- Improved Meta-tag and keywords controls
- Separate Manager and Web User sessions
- Improved Document Parser and Error handling
- Custom Content Types
- Bug fixes and usability tweaks
- free Search Engine Optimization (SEO) CMS
DreamFace 2.0 is an open-source Web 2.0 Application Creation Platform for creating, publishing and sharing Web 2.0 applications.
DreamFace is Fully widget-based Social Networking Framework Platform to create, use, and distribute dynamic content, a Social Networking Framework to manage and connect users, who consume and convey information through their social networks and Mobile Services for Broadcasting or Publishing information to mobile devices.
it mostly use for creating a wide range of Web 2.0 applications including Start Pages, Interactive Dashboards and Mashups, Social Applications and Collaborative Enterprise Applications.
Django is a high-level Python Web framework that encourages rapid development and clean, pragmatic design. Django is Web framework suitable for perfectionists with deadlines .
Django help you to build high-performing, elegant Web applications more quickly and with less code. Django is a Open source high-level Python Web framework release license under BSD license .
image credit :Exhibit
Zend Framework (ZF) is an open source, object-oriented web application framework written in PHP 5 and released under the New BSD License. Zend Framework (ZF) is an AJAX support through JSON . Zend Framework aims to be the premier place to consume & publish web services.
Zend Framework (ZF) have Flexible architecture which No configuration files required to start using . Zend Framework is focused on building more secure, reliable, and modern Web 2.0 applications & web services, and using widely available APIs from leading vendors like Google, Amazon, Yahoo!, Flickr, as well as API providers like StrikeIron and Pro..grammableWeb.
TYPOlight content management system is an open source, object-oriented programming written in PHP 5 with a focus on accessibility and standards compliance. user-friendly user interface . TYPOlight content management system Meets W3C/WAI requirements
- Uses Ajax and Web 2.0 technologies
- Multi-language support
- Cross-browser CSS framework generator
- Built-in file manager and search engine
- Live update service
- Accessible XHTML strict output
- Front end output 100% template based
- Versioning and undo management
JavaFX is the best way to create expressive, feature-rich content. Building on the Java Platform, JavaFX delivers a compelling mix of ubiquity, capability, expressiveness and performance. JavaFX applications are written in JavaFX Script, a language designed for Web developers and technical designers who like to program in a visual context.
It is a simple, easy-to-learn, declarative scripting language that enables developers to write code that closely matches the layout of the graphical user interface (GUI). JavaFX Script has a powerful data binding feature, which is a simple syntax for synchronizing the state of multiple objects, thus allowing GUI components to automatically change state with changes in underlying data.
- Web 2.0-ready – Modal Box uses industry-standard libraries
- “Offline-mode”. Use dynamic- or plain-HTML without any Ajax-calls to fill out your dialog windows
- AJAX page loading. Modal Box uses AJAX for content loading.
- Automatic height adjustment. Modal Box adjust it’s height depending on your content. No more height tweaking!
- “Scrolling mode”. If your content is long, just define the height of the Modal Box and it will switch into “scrolling mode”
- Browser and platform independent. Since most modern browsers use popup blockers, it’s hard to find another way to create 100% browser-compatible modal dialogs.
- Multi-purpose. You can create complex wizards to guide users through the process. Image slideshows can be created too.
- Keystrokes support. Use ESC key to close Modal Box.
- Customizable Look & Feel. Use CSS to make Modal Box look like you want.
- Supports transitional effects. Slide down appearing and on-the-fly resizing.
- Lightweight. Just about 10 KB of code.
- Works in most modern browsers. Tested in IE6, IE7, Firefox 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, Safari, Camino, Opera 8 and 9.
OpenSocial useful for these sites who share their social data with the web. Applications that use the OpenSocial APIs can be embedded within a social network itself, or access a site’s social data from anywhere on the web.
Adobe AIR is a cross-operating system runtime that lets developers combine HTML, Ajax, Adobe Flash®, and Adobe Flex® technologies to deploy rich Internet applications (RIAs) on the desktop. Adobe Air allow developers to use their existing web development skills to build and deploy rich Internet applications to the desktop.
Bespin is a Mozilla Labs experiment on how to build an extensible Web code editor using HTML 5 technology. Bespin is a extensible web-based framework for code editing that aims to increase developer productivity, enable compelling user experiences, and promote the use of open standards.
ExpressionEngine is a flexible, feature-rich content management system that empowers thousands of individuals, organizations, and companies around the world to easily manage their website
In order to run ExpressionEngine your web server must support:
- At least 10 MB of space
- PHP version 4.1 or newer.
- MySQL version 3.23.32 or newer.
- PHP must have XML support.
- Your server must have the following MySQL grant privileges (for tables): SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, DROP, ALTER, CREATE
- Your MySQL server must not be running in Strict mode.
- Web Publishing – Expression Engine’s publishing features are broad, comprehensive, and highly flexible.
- template engine – template engine Allow you to build dynamic, content driven websites using simple, yet powerful, tags.
- Add-On Modules and Plug-ins : Expression Engine comes with 22 add-on modules and over 100 plug-ins.
- Commenting and Trackbacks : Expression Engine’s user commenting and trackback system lets your community participate in the discussion.
- Communications : Expression Engine lets you manage your mailing lists and send email in a variety of ways.
- Search : Expression Engine has a powerful search engine and query tools.
- Member Management : Build a community with Expression Engine’s robust and flexible membership capability.
- Typography : Expression Engine has sophisticated typography tools—Every writer’s dream!
- Spam Deterrents : No other publishing platform gives you as many tools to prevent comment and trackback spam as Expression Engine.
- Data Caching : Expression Engine’s data caching features allow you to reduce your server load while retaining all the benefits of dynamically generated information.
- Tracking : Keep track of what’s happening on your site including most viewed and commented posts.
- Utilities : Expression Engine’s powerful utilities help you manage your site.
- Security : Expression Engine has the most comprehensive suite of security features of any publishing platform on the market.
it means that the core code in Merb is kept simple and well organized and It’s also easier to understand, maintain and extend. Merb is also thread-safe and was originally engineered to handle multiple file uploads concurrently.
PRADO PHP Framework :
PRADO is PHP Rapid Application Development Object-oriented web application framework for producing web applications written in PHP 5 . PRADO is a component-based and event-driven framework for rapid Web programming in PHP 5. PRADO reconceptualizes Web application development in terms of components, events and properties instead of procedures, URLs and query parameters.
A PRADO component is a combination of a specification file (in XML), an HTML template and a PHP class. PRADO components are combined together to form larger components or complete PRADO pages.
The main aim of PRADO PHP Framework is to instantiating prebuilt and application-specific component types, configuring them by setting their properties, responding to their events by writing handler functions, and composing them into application tasks.
Rhodes Mobile framework is an open source Ruby-based platform for developing mobile applications. The Rhodes framework is an open source Ruby-based platform for building locally executing, device-optimized native mobile applications. It is similar in concept to MVC frameworks such as Rails, Merb and Camping but much lighter weight (and hence executable on a mobile device) than any of these.
Rhodes application are also optimized for interacting with hosted enterprise app (SaaS) backends. its means it allow mobile applications to work offline with synced local data by embedding a client for RhoSync. The Rhodes source tree contains sample apps for SugarCRM, Siebel Field Service and Ligthouse.